Avoiding disqualification from SG amnesty
The superannuation guarantee (‘SG’) amnesty ended on 7 September 2020. Employers who disclosed unpaid SG amounts and qualified for the amnesty are reminded that they must either pay in full any outstanding amounts they owe, or set up a payment plan and meet each ongoing instalment amount so as to avoid being disqualified and losing the benefits of the amnesty.
The ATO will be sending employers reminders to pay disclosed amounts, if they have not previously engaged with the ATO. Employers will have 21 days to avoid being disqualified from the amnesty.
Registered agents can assist their employer clients who qualified for the SG amnesty avoid disqualification. In particular, if a client needs to set up a payment plan, agents can do this (online) on their behalf, if the employer:
- has an existing debit amount under $100,000 (total balance or overdue amounts);
- does not already have a payment plan for that debit amount; and
- has not defaulted on a payment plan for the relevant account more than twice in the past two years.
The ATO has advised that employers who are disqualified from the amnesty will:
- be notified in writing of the quarter they are disqualified for;
- be charged an administration component of $20 per employee for each disqualified quarter;
- have their circumstances considered when deciding a Part 7 penalty remission (this is an additional penalty of up to 200% of the unpaid SG amount that may be imposed under the SG laws); and
- be issued with a notice of amended assessment.
Employers who continue to qualify for the SG amnesty are reminded that they can only claim a tax deduction for amounts paid on or before 7 September 2020 (i.e., the amnesty end date).
Please contact our office if you require more information or would like us to set up a payment plan for SG amnesty amounts on your behalf.
- Accounting (20)
- ASIC (2)
- ATO update (291)
- Business (107)
- Corporate (19)
- Division 7A (7)
- COVID-19 (42)
- Disaster Relief (6)
- Federal Election (1)
- Finance (15)
- Cryptocurrency (6)
- Foreign/off-shore issues (15)
- GAP Office Update (1)
- Industry (25)
- JobKeeper (23)
- LCT (1)
- Single Touch Payroll (12)
- Superannuation (88)
- Superannuation Guarantee (7)
- Taxation (208)
- Uncategorised (8)